Notifications are short messages that are used to communicate, announce, inform, or remind app users about something useful. These can either be pushed from the server or automatically generated using some prescribed criteria.
To add and configure notifications, follow the steps below.
- Under ‘Integrate’, click ‘Notifications’.
- Click the ‘Create New Notification’ button on the top right corner of the page.
- Fill in the following fields:
- Title – This is the title of the notification that will pop on users’ screens.
- Message – This is the message that will be shown as a notification.
- Description – While more of an internal comment to explain the purpose of the notification, it is a required field.
- Type – Select whether the notification is categorized as an announcement, information or reminder. Doing so will show app users an appropriate icon for your notification, allowing quicker understanding.
- Start – This is where you specify the date and time from which your notification will be operational. If you leave this option blank, the notification will be sent to user devices instantly.
- End – This option specifies the date and time until which the notification will remain operational. Leaving this option blank will make the notification operational throughout the life of the app.
- Origin – Origin allows you to define whether the notification is local or triggered from the server, i.e. administrator-controlled.
- For more options, click the ‘Advanced’ button and fill the following fields as per your needs.
- Message Type – Select whether the message is Literal (i.e. consists of text) or Expression (i.e. consists of an expression that will be computed at run time).
- Action Type – Define what will happen once the user interacts with the notification. You can choose from NavigatePage (show a particular page), OpenNotificationPage (open the notifications page), and ShowCategory (return to the home screen and categories).
- Scope – Select whether the notification’s scope is Local or Poll.
- Target Page – If you selected NavigatePage in Action Type, you can select a page to send users to.
- Sync Entities – This option will configure the entities that need syncing once the notification is triggered in order to perform different actions such as fetching new data.
- Login Required – Select this option to ask users to login before viewing your notification in order to ensure its security.
- Condition – Specify a condition to determine when the notification can be shown.
- Destination – Specify which devices will receive the notification. You can set criteria such as ‘Only Executives’ as well.
Frequency – Define whether this is a one-time notification or a recurring one. If the latter, decide how often the notification will pop up.